Harwood House Thrift Shop
DONATE | SHOP | VOLUNTEER
301-253-0025 (business hours only)
Open for Sales
- Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays 11 am to 3:00 pm
Open for Donations
- Tuesdays 9 am to 12 pm
- Saturdays 11 am to 2:30 pm
Open for Volunteering - Sorting/Work Sessions
- Contact the Thrift Shop at 301-253-0025 for volunteer opportunities and Covid-19 guidelines.
Located at the corner of Woodfield Road and Main Street in Damascus.
Check out our Facebook Page
Get involved! Contact the Thrift Shop at 301-253-0025 during business hours.
- Donors can clean out closets and cabinets, attics and garages and receive a tax deduction for unwanted items. Donated items are reused. REUSE creates less air and water pollution than making a new item or recycling.
- Harwood House is able to provide moderately priced clothing and household items to local families. Items that the shop cannot sell are donated to Frederick Rescue Mission, Interfaith Works, and The Damascus Theater Company.
- Funds received from sales are used to support approximately 30 local charities, in addition to mission efforts of Damascus UMC.
History of the Harwood House Thrift Shop
In 1992, Damascus UMC Pastor Jim Archibald formed a committee to determine if a thrift shop was feasible. Bill Harwood, a church member and former employee of Goodwill Industries, had the expertise to transform ideas into reality.
The decision was made to house the shop in the basement of the former church. The Damascus Thrift Shop opened for business on Thursday, March 11, 1993. Bill Harwood guided the shop over the rough spots that first year.
In June 1996 the operation moved upstairs in the same building. The name of the shop was changed to Harwood House, to honor the founder.
Charities supported by the Harwood House
- Asbury Foundation
- Board of Child Care
- Caring Matters
- Carol Jean Cancer Foundation
- Damascus HELP
- Damascus Volunteer Fire Department
- Faith Connections
- Fisher House
- Frederick Rescue Mission
- Frederick Soup Kitchen
- Good News Jail and Prison Ministry
- Heartly House, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hospice Caring
- Jill's House
- Mackenzie's Place
- Montgomery Avenue Women's Shelter
- Montgomery Hospice
- Our House
- Rebuilding Together
- Salvation Army
- Special Olympics
- Susanna Wesley House
- Therapeutic & Recreational Riding
- Youth for Christ